.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Asylum

Welcome to the Asylum. This is a site devoted to politics and current events in America, and around the globe. The THREE lunatics posting here are unabashed conservatives that go after the liberal lies and deceit prevalent in the debate of the day. We'd like to add that the views expressed here do not reflect the views of other inmates, nor were any inmates harmed in the creation of this site.

Name:
Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

Who are we? We're a married couple who has a passion for politics and current events. That's what this site is about. If you read us, you know what we stand for.

Monday, May 30, 2005

My Memorial Day Thoughts

While Thomas and I posted our initial thoughts of Memorial Day yesterday, I am touched to read some of the offerings on the Internet from other people. Michelle Malkin has a running list of special sites with tributes up. She does link to the story concerning the tribute that Sec. Rumsfeld and Gen. Richard Myers attended today, known as "Rolling Thunder".
http://michellemalkin.com/archives/002592.htm

And she also links to Col. Austin Bay’s site for his thoughts. Col. Bay was asked to give an address at what was known as Potter’s Field; a graveyard for the indigent that were killed in war. No family. No wife. No kids. Anyone who stands up to defend this nation honorably, should they be killed in action, deserve nothing less than the same honor they gave.He had been asked by Tejanos in Action to address the people invited to the Memorial Day tribute. His speech was good, and his thoughts are even better. Amongst the "milbloggers" of the blogosphere Austin Bay is one of the best, and he is an active duty colonel.

But, in my humble opinion, one of the best reads on the Internet today comes from Captain’s Quarters.
http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/

Longtime CQ readers will remember my friend Mike the Contractor, who spent a long time in Iraq both in the Seals and as a contractor. I've published some of Mike's letters in the past, especially those to his young sons in explaining the war on terror. Today Mike sends this message to his friends and family, reminding us of the role that his contractor friends continue to play in protecting Americans and Iraqis in the most dangerous areas. Mike will return to Iraq in the near future to continue this work himself.

This is what greeted me when I arrived there this morning. I encourage everyone to visit Captain Ed’s site, and read this newest letter from his friend, Mike. These "rough men" have not only ensured that we sleep in peace at night, but also the innocent civilians in Iraq. And Mike reminds us that while they do their job, accidents and incidents occur. No amount of training can keep you alive and unscathed. War is not scripted. Things happen.

And every time I hear of another soldier losing his life in the line of duty, it hurts. It hurts me a lot. I have mentioned it once or twice before, but I rarely discuss the subject of my brother being in the Army—A United States Army Ranger in Afghanistan. And I worry about him quite a bit, but I trust him to be smart and I trust his training will serve him well.

So, on this Memorial Day, I am not just reminded of those that came before us to fight for this nation; those like my grandfather who fought in World War II. Nor am I simply reminded about those that fight now, like Captain Ed’s friend, Mike, and my brother. But more importantly to me on this day of remembrance is why they did it. Why did they join and fight? (The MSM might want to take notes on this because I think they’ve forgotten.)

They did so out of love for this nation. They joined to protect this nation, it’s citizens, and it’s freedoms. Just like those that first took up arms to defend and create this nation, our brave men and women do so now in honor of those that did so before. Someone must stand up against those that wish to do us harm, and these people do so. So, we owe them a debt that can never be repaid, yet we can honor for their courage, their convictions, and their accomplishments. And we should.

It is the least that we, as citizens of America, can do for those that provide the security blanket we sleep under each and every night.

The Bunny ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

weight loss product