.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Asylum

Welcome to the Asylum. This is a site devoted to politics and current events in America, and around the globe. The THREE lunatics posting here are unabashed conservatives that go after the liberal lies and deceit prevalent in the debate of the day. We'd like to add that the views expressed here do not reflect the views of other inmates, nor were any inmates harmed in the creation of this site.

Name:
Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

Who are we? We're a married couple who has a passion for politics and current events. That's what this site is about. If you read us, you know what we stand for.

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Mistress IS In

Thomas and Marcie have decided to take some time off. You may see a post or two from them over the next eleven days, or so, but for the most part...I am in charge.

This isn’t an ego thing for me. Frankly, it scares the hell out of me. As I said when I first started posting here under the "Guest-Blogging" moniker, I said I was a first time blogger. I’m not up to speed on half of the terminology or acronyms that eight of them use, but I’m learning. Thomas, upon hearing that, stated that there was no better time than the present to hone my skills. I thank them both for not only the chance, but the responsibility in not wrecking the Asylum over the next, or so. But, then again, I am an inmate now, and no one really knows what happens when a lunatic starts dealing with explosive things. LOL

Let me start by saying this will be a learning experience for me, and for all of the regular readers. I’ve yet to locate what many writers refer to as their "voice." Thomas and Marcie had little trouble discovering theirs. Marcie is prim and proper, polite, and specific. Thomas possesses specificity as well, but there is a definite level of sarcasm within his posts. He refers to it as his "rapier wit." Some people would either take great offense, or find great amusement, in his use of the language. Both inject not only a level of common sense into the debate of the day, but they can back up their claims with facts and information. Unlike me, neither of them are lawyers. But their lack of education–formal, that is, does not change the fact that both possess keen legal minds. There is little I can discuss with them, from a professional point of view, that they can’t understand. And their combined knowledge of the Constitution make them a particularly deadly pair on the site.

They feed off of each other, and make no attempt to cover it up. Their posts deliver the message, and usually praise or acknowledgment of the other. Some may call this "patting themselves on the back" or "politely agreeing with one another." I disagree; their ability to work quickly, cleanly, and precisely together is a boon for them, and a bane to those they stand against.

Likewise, I’d like to maintain that. A commenter recently learned a couple of valuable lessons. First, be specific in your charge. To be vague or shifty doesn’t allow a debate to continue. Specifics are needed to make a proper argument. This commenter didn’t do that. Second, don’t make allegations that aren’t backed up with solid fact. He alleged that their only true opposition to Miers was because of Roe. Roe has little to do with the opposition to Miers. If I were to list my grievances with her, they’d include the following:

–An inability to explain the Constitution’s provisions and guaranteed rights properly; this was evident by her questionnaire answers.

–ZERO judicial experience; a fact that has been shoved aside by those that support her by drawing on a minority of jurists on the Supreme Court that had no previous experience.

Political fallout from her past; the Texas Lottery Commission story and the women’s lecture series for Southern Methodist University which included noted liberal, feminist activists.

Private practice with no experience before the high court; yes, she served as counsel during Bush v. Gore, but gave no oral arguments, and she has spent a number of years as a corporate lawyer.

The specter of affirmative action; recent articles, speeches and comments uncovered show that Miers may hold true to O’Connor’s enamored view of affirmative action in wanting to keep it in place.

The above are just five the reasons that I–WE–strand in opposition to this woman. And like Thomas, I do hope the president is paying attention. Earlier this week, we the voters, were referred to as "the special interest" forces in the country trying to derail her. We’re not a special interest group. We’re the people who put these monkeys in office, and now they’re attacking us. The president would be wise to pay attention to two very specific things.

First, look at who is running the opposition. This isn’t the ACLU, PFAW, NOW, or any other nutty group. This is America. We’re sending money, and supporting the effort to stop her.

Second, pay attention to the blogs. They’re his gauge right now, and as we have pointed out before, the opposition DWARFS those in support for her. And we raise some critical questions that her supporters can’t fully explain; worse, neither has the White House.

I’m not holding my breath for the hearings. If she makes it there, I’ll pay attention to them. But I’m not holding my breath. Miers will hit no home-runs in her appearances. She may not fall flat on her face (like the Astros. WTG White Sox!) But she won’t be stellar. Please Mr. President, either withdraw her, or prompt her to withdraw herself.

Mistress Pundit

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good blog. You are doing just fine. I'll not forget being told that one inference may be drawn from a proven fact but any more is gossip or hearsay. It seems that far too many "spin" a fact to make the spin factual. I call that BS. And I don't hesitate to say so. The Asylum is known to be in depth factual. Opinions are supported by facts and maybe one inference. I respect that. Rawriter

1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

weight loss product