.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Asylum

Welcome to the Asylum. This is a site devoted to politics and current events in America, and around the globe. The THREE lunatics posting here are unabashed conservatives that go after the liberal lies and deceit prevalent in the debate of the day. We'd like to add that the views expressed here do not reflect the views of other inmates, nor were any inmates harmed in the creation of this site.

Name:
Location: Mesa, Arizona, United States

Who are we? We're a married couple who has a passion for politics and current events. That's what this site is about. If you read us, you know what we stand for.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Did His Brain Take A Walk?

Tom Tancredo, a longtime guest on Hugh Hewitt’s show, had an interesting discussion on a talk radio show—hosted by Pat Campbell—where he stated he would consider sending Mecca into a nuclear conflagration. The resulting strike would come only if an act of nuclear terrorism occurred on United States soil. And whereas that would bring a certain selfish warmth to my heart, I must respectfully disagree. Take this from an Israeli man that has spent his life in the IDF fighting Islamic terrorism:

(The following is a transcript of a phone call between Hugh Hewitt, and a longtime friend of his named Yoni. Hat-tip: RadioBlogger)

HH: Yoni in Seattle. Hi, Yoni.

YT: Hugh, I can't think of anything more immediately, emotionally gratifying, if America should be nuked by terrorists, than to turn around and nuke Mecca. However, it would not be a logical thing to do.

HH: It has no strategic...

YT: It would be a stupid thing to do.

HH: Stupid...

YT: I just want the people that call in and say yeah, nuke 'em, I want them to go beyond that initial emotional response, because that's what it would be. And I think any normal person that would see a mushroom cloud going up over an American city, would want to strike back in kind, and want to strike back at the thing that Muslims hold most dear. That's a normal, immediate first reaction. However, what we would then have to do, and please, God, we'd have a president that would take the time to reflect. If we want to reflect back on the riots that happened, due to the reporting on the alleged mishandling of the Koran at Gitmo...

HH: Oh, good point.

YT: Think about us turning Mecca into a glass parking lot, and the outcome that will have on a billion Muslims worldwide. We would have a war on our hands that would literally...

HH: We'd have civil war throughout Europe. We would have Turkey on the other...you know, we'd have serious combatant forces immediately...Pakistan has nukes.

YT: The war that would be the outcome of that...in Hebrew, we call it Gog v Magog...

HH: Yeah.

YT: And in English, I think you call it Armageddon. And if we want to end the world, in the most violent, bloody, nastiest way possible, then you know what? We should nuke Mecca. But, I don't want to live through that. I don't want any fellow human beings to live through that. Me, probably the most hard-core guy that appears on your show...

HH: You are.

YT: ...when it comes to fighting Islamic terror, I say I don't want to put Muslims through this. We...God forbid, we should ever do something so bloody stupid.

HH: All right. Thank you, Yoni.

Though many disagree with Yoni, with Hugh, and now Thomas, they are right. They are indeed correct in their assertions of the repercussions that would arise from such a strike. Not only would it prove the point that al-Qaeda has been propagating in terms of the West being the "great Satan," but it would rally millions to Osama bin-Laden’s cause. It was an off-hand comment that he did not fully think through. I can totally understand that. I’ve said some pretty dumb things in my life.

But egregious mistakes have always prompted me to apologize for them. People know I am sincere, as I do not often stick my foot in my mouth, but that is precisely what Rep. Tancredo did. It is time to make amends, and explain his statement, as well as apologizing for it. And I do mean an apology, not some half-hearted spin attempt as Sen. Durbin attempted after his utterly stupid comments regarding our troops in Gitmo.

I want a sincere one. And I am sure that once it dawns on him (sooner, rather than later) he will issue one. Nothing else will suffice. It will not with me, and I know about 2,600 other people it will not sit with until one is issued. The last number on the blogs tracking this story numbered at over 2,640, according to Technorati.com. Plenty of people are pushing this issue because it is one that must be addressed.

As I said earlier, I share a similar sentiment, until I realize what I am actually thinking. I am not using my head with such a thought. I am using emotion; that makes me no better than a liberal. They think only in emotion, unless it comes to defending or standing up for this nation, then they lose their emotion and their minds. Rep. Tancredo obviously lost his, and I hope he finds it soon. This is only going to gain momentum from us—bloggers—until he does apologize.

The Bunny ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

weight loss product